Friday, January 12, 2007

Let's try this blog thing for a second time

I'm at work right now, taking a short break and I thought I should enter my second blog. I hope that I'm doing this right. I wasn't sure if I was just suppose to 'post new' or if I was to create another blog. This is blogging my mind! I want to become efficient enough using this blog gizmo to possibly incorporate it in my 'future' classroom like the teachers Alec showed us. I wouldn't even know where to start teaching my class (especially if it was a grade one class) how to do that. But I guess nowadays kids are probably smarter at using the computer/internet then most adults are now.

My boss is now having difficulties with the printer. I do like technology and I can appreciate all it can do for us.. however, their are days where it seems it would just be more simple to use a pen and paper. Like today for my boss. heh. I've given up on my printer at home because of its constant breakdowns. It always seems to fail you when you need it the most. I get you could say technology is selfish. :)

On side note.. my job at the museum right now is actually very technology involved. (did that make sense?) What I'm trying to say is that I am currently working on developing the 'layout' of a Kids' webpage off the museum's main page. I'm not doing the computer stuff, I am just actually drawing it out (on a piece of paper with a pencil). So, in order to do this I have been doing a lot of research on other kids' webpages from other museums and educational sites. When I come across some good websites I think are worth sharing I'll post them for you to do with what you will!!

Here's one for starters:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/kids-only/index.html

This come from the Natural History Museum of London. It's quite colourful and interactive. It has some fun games for the kids ( for instance - What dinosaur are you?, Volcano explosion, dinosaur defender.. etc.) , it has naturecams, and animal facts. If you ever do a unit on Dinosaurs it has a great 'Dinosaur Directory' - lots of good info! Enjoy! :)

3 comments:

Heather Willer said...

That seems like at really cool job! It will give you lots of expereince with technology and computers. I cannot believe that your drawing the web site on paper, but then your an artist! Keep it up!

Tristen said...

Thanks Heather! It is a pretty cool job and quite challenging as well. It is weird that I'm drawing it out when you think about it.. I don't know if this is usually how websites are done but for us it is helping us organize our ideas, create a visual and to give our computer guy a better idea of what we want. I hope that I do a good job in the end. :)

Unknown said...

wow Tristen, I am so jealous of your very cool job. Often graphic designers put a website layout down on paper because they are not necessarily the ones who have the skills needed to created a webpage. Is that something you know how to do?

 
This album is powered by BubbleShare - Add to my blog